We’ve Got a Problem
- 97% of the world’s climate scientists warn that we have seven years to avert an irreversible planetary disaster. Our planet is on fire and it’s not the only one taking on heat . . .
- Organizations are taking heat about what they are doing to, and/or not doing for our environment
- This heat is costly: loss of consumers, employees, investors, market share, partners, revenue, shareholders, stakeholders, and suppliers . . . and reputation!
- The age of “greenwashing” is over –
it’s time for companies to change.
- Currently there is no private sector initiative addressing the issue. (And Business Roundtable pledges by large companies do not cut it!) Time to walk the talk on a massive scale!
- 66% of consumers prefer
- For millennials: 87%, and for GenZers: 94%
- 54% of GenZers and 50% of millennials will pay 10% more for sustainable products and services.
- Millennials make up 50% of the workforce, and the heat from them and Gen Z is scorching!
- 55% of millennials choose jobs based on environmental & corporate social
- GenZers and millennials will make up 75% of the global population by 2050!
- In 2019, investors considering what a company does relative to our environment grew from 48% to 75%!
MUCH BIGGER REASONS TO PAY ATTENTION / TAKE ACTION!
OUR GLOBAL CRISIS
By 2070, earth will be unsuitable for human life to flourish.97% of climate scientists agree – the earth is warming due to human activity.
The UN 2018 report on climate change – our world is on brink of failure by 2030 if global warming continues at its present rate.
By 2070, earth will be unsuitable for human life to flourish.
2020 was the second-hottest year in 140 years
Extreme weather events rise yearly, affecting the lives and livelihoods of all living beings.
2018: 65.6 million climate refugees
2050: 143 million projected in just three regions
ONE HOT MESS!
If current greenhouse gas emissions remain steady, we have a 93% chance of a planet that is hotter by four degree Celsius.
This ensures food an health risks, increased intensity and frequency of storms, floods, heat waves, water scarcity and quality, permanent land loss due to sea level rise, etc.
This leads to unimaginable economic, environmental, security, and health threats, including pandemics.
IMPACT TO HUMAN LIFE
In 2019, 24 million people were displaced by weather-related disasters.It is projected that our world will have 150-200 million climate change refugees by 2050.
This increases poverty, homelessness, and certain wars.
People of color are disproportionately affected by climate change.
“Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Be hopeful, be optimistic. Our struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month, or a year; it is the struggle of a lifetime. Never, ever, be afraid to make some noise
and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.”